The volunteer members of the Local Services Board (LSB) work hard to review needs and set priorities for the coming fiscal year. Each year the (LSB) must hold a budget meeting for the public. It is this editor’s understanding said budget must be approved at this meeting. In other words, you the taxpayer, have a BIG say in where your $money$ goes.
Below this article is a notice of the LSB meeting to deal with next year’s budget among other things. LSB taxes have doubled in the past few years. If you are concerned about increases in taxes, you are encouraged to make it a point to attend.
The Board is dealing with the cost of the oil spill at the community centre. Currently the taxpayer is picking up the tab. If you want to know why us and not the oil company or the insurance company you should be at the meeting.
Also, the Board is dealing with major cost increases in fire/medical call services resulting from the incorporation of the fire department.
- Do you know why we needed this incorporation and the resulting tax increases?
- What are you getting for the extra cost"?
- What happens to our existing LSB owned fire hall and equipment?
- Is it the best deal for the taxpayers?
- Is there another option?
- Do we need such a high level of service in such a small, rural community?
- Were you aware of the potential costs when fire department incorporation was being considered?
This is your community and we all have a responsibility to assist the LSB members in guiding us into 2013.
Filed under: News